Monday, March 31, 2014

My mother always taught me if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all! But will that help our peer assessments?


EDUC300 Module 5 Synthesis

by Ilicia Kelly

             This has been a tough week, with emotions running high. The class (myself included) is visibly struggling through the assignments and I can almost see the blood, sweat, and tears on their posts. My work has been keeping me up so late each night that I'm actually sick with a severe head cold right now. I've actually run my body and mind into the ground! But the show must go on! This week, we have discussed our current rubric, ideas to improve it, opinions on TOOC, and how to improve our discussions to create a more lively debate.

            We explored the concepts of assessments so we can better understand the point of giving each other assessments at the end of our responses."The goal of formative assessment is to monitor student learning to provide ongoing feedback that can be used by instructors to improve their teaching and by students to improve their learning... The goal of summative assessment is to evaluate student learning at the end of an instructional unit by comparing it against some standard or benchmark" (CMU). Formative assessment can be used as a guide by the instructor as a form of communication to lead the student in the right direction. It has little to no point value in the assessment. Summative assessment has a high value in grade to the student and evaluates the student and the quality of the assignment.

            The consensus was that giving a poor grade to another student was difficult because we didn't want to hurt feelings. We explored why peer assessment was important for learning and also why it's difficult to peer assess. "In such cases, peer reviewing (a common task for small group collaboration) is often superficial, unhelpful, and/or judgmental. It takes time to establish community, and 12 weeks (the common length of a semester in a paced program) is sometimes insufficient for those new to online learning to develop both the requisite skills and confidence to fully participate in collaborative learning" (IRRODL). It is difficult in an online course to really get acquainted with your classmates, so when you see a harsh criticism, it makes us instantly defensive. Although conflict may create a more interesting discussion, many of us may shy away from conflict. "Argumentation can bee seen as a crucial part of coordination in collaboration in the sense that participants try to change each other's point of view" (O'Donnell, Hmelo-Silver & Erkens, 2006). It's hard to review your peer that you don't know very well and never met face to face, because such criticism won't be taken as well by a virtual stranger.

Cassandra made a good point that it's difficult to hurt people's feelings, and Josh stated that he would just search for the bests posts that he could give a 100 to and only respond to those. I am actually guilty of doing the same thing sometimes. I wouldn't even respond to the posts that were obviously lazy and lacked any proof of comprehension on the weeks work.

            Can arguments really expand the dialog? Are we really exploring information in this course that can cause an argument and a heated debate? Probably not, but adding a bit of spice to the discussion can result in more comprehensive learning and keep our interests. "Argumentation can bee seen as a crucial part of coordination in collaboration in the sense that participants try to change each other's point of view" (O'Donnell, Hmelo-Silver & Erkens, 2006). It's hard to review your peer that you don't know very well and never met face to face, because such criticism won't be taken as well by a virtual stranger.

            How can we improve the rubric? I had an idea that I found from an interesting article. It states that peer assessment is an important tool, but using it in the right was is imperative to the success of a peer assessment. One idea was to incorporate three comments on the end of the response:

§                              One thing I really like about this is …

§                              One way to make this stronger could be …

§                              Did you ever think about …" (ASCD)

I think this could really help make the responses more authentic and create more of a conversation, rather than an exchange of the information we found for our original post.

            In TOOC this week, we explored concepts like Wiki tools for learning. It's a web app that lets others collaborate with information that you've acquired. I like using Wikipedia for information because it's always informative and I feel undervalued in it's merit, but having apps that help collect information would be super helpful in group activities for school or work. TOOC also had us do some readings that gave more background on Wikipedia and how it always uses reliable resources. "This means that we publish the opinions only of reliable authors, and not the opinions of Wikipedians who have read and interpreted primary source material for themselves" (Wikipedia).

            Dr Gusa asked us to identify our motives for being in this class. I fall into the category of "non-traditional students who have jobs, families, and carry a full load of classes. They are stretched to their limit" (Dr Gusa) and in that were many sub-categories. The categories that define myself are as follows; Dental hygiene major that needs this course to graduate with no interest in teaching online (no offense because I would prefer to teach in a clinical setting) and "students, because of integrity and pride will work hard to produce their best work, even if it kills them". I enjoy learning new things and different ways of looking at a subject. I enjoy learning tools that I can apply to many different aspects of my life. This is why I find that I am a constructivist learner. "Piaget posited that every learner has a mental representation of the world which he or she constructs through their experiences... If the new experience aligns with their mental representation, the learner assimilates it in the form of new knowledge into their existing schema" (Taxonomy of Learning Theories).

            During my associates degree, I was also able to forgo work and concentrate on my education. Now that I have 2 kids (3 if you count my husband), a full time job, and a home to maintain, it makes continuing my education so much more difficult than anything I have tried to achieve in my ENTIRE LIFE!! It's so important that I finish this degree that I am going without sleep or any free time just to do quality assignments and complete all papers/ activities. At this point, I am so close to finishing that it's become the hardest semester so far and I am tempted each day to quit. I know this is the time when you must push the hardest and the victory will be so much sweeter, but it doesn't change the fact that it's wearing me down into a puddle of stress. I also may skip the final revision in exchange for some sleep, but we can only do our best and hope for a good grade. I received a letter today stating that I have been awarded the College Academic Award because I have the highest senior cumulative grade point average in the Dental Hygiene curriculum!!! This may have been the hardest semester, but my hard work is paying off!

           

References:

 

O'Donell, A., Hmelo-Silver, C., & Erkins, G. (2006). Collaborative Learning, Reasoning, and Technology. New Jersey: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.

 

Self Assessment- 100- I fulfilled all requirements of the rubric

No comments:

Post a Comment