Monday, March 17, 2014

TOOC Blog- Diigo and EVERNOTE


EDUC300- TOOC Blog

by Ilicia Kelly

 

            I learned about some new web 2.0 tools this week. One that I thought was catchy was Evernote.com. It is a great app that will 'free yourself from the clutter that can invade your workspace' and organize your desk. It also has some great applications, like with blogging, capturing audio messages, storing receipts for expense reports, and basically manage anything your heart desires. In the age of technology, we still want a personal record of paper receipts and to have a copy that we can hold in our hand is a great new app! According to the reading in the Intro to Learning Technology course, "the Evernote website provides a simple overview of the software, suggesting that one uses Evernote first to “capture everything,” then “organize it,” and also to “find anything fast". It's a site to save notes, audio, anything you want to store and organize. You can even sync Evernote to your devices.

            We also learned about Diigo. "While many social bookmarking sites offer some collaboration opportunities, I have found that Diigo (Digest of Internet Information, Groups and Other stuff) combines a user-friendly social platform with bookmarking features, making it an effective research, integration, and collaboration tool for use in the classroom. In this article, I compare the benefits of traditional and social bookmarking websites. Then, using Diigo as a focus, I explore the possible uses and benefits of social bookmarking for research and collaboration in the classroom". We joined a group with my EDUC300 course and are exploring the applications and attempting to collaborate with each other. "Diigo gives you a place to store and organize bookmarks for anything you’re interested in online — think Pinterest with more words and fewer pictures. But this just scratches the surface of what Diigo can do. For one thing, when you bookmark an item, you can also highlight it and add sticky notes to keep track of specific sections that interest you. And you can collaborate with others in groups, where you share the resources you’ve found on a particular topic, discuss them in attached comments, even start forum discussions" (Once You Go Diigo, You Never Go Back).

            I urge you all to check out these new web tools and try and apply them to your life. It can only make your life easier. These tools can apply to your career in education by allowing the technology to create more interaction between your students. Diigo can help with researching and cataloging information on the web and Evernote can help you organize those little notes and form thorough papers that are comprehensive and extensive.

2 comments:

  1. I started my experience with social bookmarking with Delicious. That fell by the way side pretty soon after the class where I learned to use it ended. Some friends of mine pointed me to Diigo years later, and although I used it somewhat regularly it was so disorganized. It took years before I started using the tags (and it's still not as robust as I'd like). I have joined a couple of groups though and it is now my go to online citation tool. Using services like IFTTT, I automatically capture blog posts and my twitter favourites straight to Diigo.

    What advice would you give to students to make sure they stick with whichever tool they decide to use beyond the course they learned about the tool in?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JR,
      My advice would be to incorporate it into other aspects of your life, not just with school work. That way, once the course is finished, you will continue to find those tools useful!

      Delete